Re: lynx-dev Lynx, relative links, and the HTTP redirections

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx, relative links, and the HTTP redirections
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:53:26 +0100

On Wednesday 13 January 1999, at 23 h 39, the keyboard of David Woolley
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I think you are in a rather grey area.  The only way that Netscape can
> fix up the relative URL is by looking at a header which indicates the

OK, I see.

> My advice would be to use server relative, not page relative URLs.

They were generated by the WML tool, as a nice attempt to have templates which
work whatever the level of the page is. The WML approach seems to fail here.

> I think even better advice would be to steer clear of such error pages, as
> they usually omit information that is in the builtin page.  Particularly
> useful, if provided, are the failed URL and the referer, as these can
> make it easy to email the response to the owner of a broken link.

Yes, but ErrorDocuments allow you to have a link to the search engine,
explanations in French and so on.