lynx-dev LYNX re Control-D abort

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX re Control-D abort
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:44:41 -0800 (PST)

Wanting to page down half a page, I did a VI-type ^D
(instead of the proper ")") -- and lynx went "dead".

I mean, it was still there ("^Z then fg" seemed to work),
but once into it, didn't respond.

So, the K-page doc is either wrong, or there is a bug
with ^D; that page says that ^D does ABORT, meaning
"quit the browser unconditionally".

Doesn't quit, just makes it brain dead.

---

Why was ^D chosen for this?  What's wrong with ^C --
or is there some problem with those user-accounts where all
they can do is run lynx, and maybe cannot ^C.

But would not those arrangements allow SOME way to kill
your job.

At any rate, ^D is not so hot for those of us who often
use VI.

SUGGESTION: "do you really want to quit?", just like q has,
but programmed at the lowest level in c, no subroutine calls
except the most basic, so there is no loss of guarantee
of being able to get "out".

One thing I do in my software where I catch ^C is I COUNT
the ^C's so even if there is a screwup, once the user has
hit FIVE of them, he's out, no questions asked any more.