Re: lynx-dev French accents (was special char's)

From: Kari E. Hurtta
Subject: Re: lynx-dev French accents (was special char's)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:10:02 +0200 (EET)

Klaus Weide:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:
> >
> > I have a DOS PC logged onto a UNIX (BSDI) shell account.
> > Lynx is set up with
> >     assumed charset iso-8859-1
> >     display charset cp437
> >     raw 8-bit       OFF
> > This displays mail from my friend correctly.
> >
> > However, when I send mail to her the chars
> > don't display right on her PC (running win95
> > using IE, whose settings I don't know).
> > Also, curiously, the raw 8-bit values in her
> > email messeges to me don't match the values
> > she types using alt.  For example, when she
> > types alt135 (0x87), I get 0xe7.

So when you send mail, there will be (I assume)

        CP437 text on mail and it is labeled
        as

If that is situation (I do not have looked lynx's code),
then this is technically correct.

It is just to be left to recipient to do character
set conversions (for example from cp437 to iso-8859-1).

Problem in here is that most mail readers do not
support MIKE in that level that they can do character
set conversions (except perhaps lynx :-)).

For example Elm, Elm ME+ (my patches) or Pine do
not support character set conversions.

Obviously then IE also do not able to do character
set conversions. Can you (Laura Eaves) send mail which
have these accent characters as examples.

First we need to verify that what labeling lynx
uses on mail for character set actually _is_ that
caharacter set what is used on mail.

Otherwise there _is_ bug on lynx.

/ Kari Hurtta