Re: lynx-dev info pages

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev info pages
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:55:41 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, brian j. pardy wrote:

> > The whole HTStream mechanism in lynx is already a way to "plug in
> > filters", but they have to be written in C and be compiled in.
>
> Hmm.  This isn't a project for 2.8.2, and probably not even for 2.9, but
> is there any way that an interface with some sort of dynamically
> loadable module could be hacked in there?  That could be an area to
> eventually plug-in Javascript if that ever happens, and who knows what
> else.

What I was referring to was filters for converting one sort of text
(as just a stream of bytes) into another, before Lynx does much with
it.  You seem to be thinking about something that would have to happen
at a much later stage.

> > But I don't really understand what this thread is about.  Someone
> > wants to convert something into anotherthing, but why should that be a
> > task for Lynx?
>
> The GNU 'info' viewer is abysmal at best, IMO, totally discounting my
> feelings for GNU.  I've never liked hypertextual documentation (I do
> much better for comprehension with a straight stream of info), but all
> of the documentation on (for example) the GNU C library functions are
> in info.

Emacs is a reasonable info viewer...

> info2html should be enough, though.  But if an ly-info2html.o module
> could be yanked in, that'd be neat.

I assume those packages (I have another one called info2www) must have
a CGI interface.  So how about trying that under lynxcgi?

But that might still produce hypertextual documentation, which you don't
like. :)

I've actually been thinking about duplicating the Apache API in lynx,
so that Lynx could load apache modules. :)  But not seriously.
I mean, except for hack value I don't think there is the slightest
bit of good reason for binary modules in Lynx.

   Klaus