Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.15

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.15
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:56:22 -0800

Tom Dickey wrote:

> 1999-01-28 (2.8.2dev.15)

> * enabled CERN-style rules, there are two new lynx.cfg options, RULESFILE and
>   RULE.  No example file or documentation yet beyond comments in lynx.cfg.
> The
>   rules mechanism itself is unchanged from what was present for a long time
>   (but never used), except for some memory cleanup.  Use -DNO_RULES at compile
>   time to disable - KW

I meant to comment earlier: this -DNO_RULES doesn't actually disable the
implementation part of the rules code, only the new stuff which provides
a user interface to it.  For the benefit of people trying to make small
binaries, it ought to be extended to the implementation stuff in
HTRules.c (and elsewhere, I forget).  -- didn't check whether Tom
already caught this and extended it in dev.15 -- I'm working from memory
of looking at KW's patch.

> * add changes to invoke external editor on textarea, can be invoked by adding
>   KEYMAP entry for EDITTEXT area to lynx.cfg (originally from
>   address@hidden, but much rework) - KED

applause all around!

Enhancement request [if not already done]: add a way to expand form
textareas *on-screen* without invoking external editor.  e.g. suppose
I've filled 10 lines of a 10-line on-screen textarea, then use "edit
externally" and add an 11th line.  As I understand it (not having tried
the new facility yet), on return to Lynx, I'll see the new contents, all
11 lines' worth -- the on-screen space will have expanded.  The request
is, now that we know how to do that, add another key which means "skip
the editor, just gimme another blank line at the bottom of this
textarea my cursor is in".  (We could also think about auto-expanding
when hitting return in the last on-screen line -- but some user
interface dangers there, need to be careful about it.)