Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:38:44 -0500 (EST)

990129 Mykola Sereda wrote:
> The version of Lynx installed on my ISP server (Sun4, SunOS) is 2.7.1.

first, 2-7-1 is  c 2 yrs  out-of-date: either ask your ISP to upgrade
or (if you have shell access) you can compile the latest 2-8-1 yourself:
get it from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release ; we want to help,
but in practice Lynx volunteers don't have time to support older versions.
it does look as if your problem is out-of-date character support (below).

> There is a problem with many sites in Ukraine (not all).
> Instead of opening a www site, the Lynx presents: Download or Cancel.

that's appropriate for eg an image file, but not for HTML.

> When saved, the http file looks like any other.
> What follows, is a transcript of one such session:
>
> @cam % lynx http://www.vechirniykyiv.com/

i repeated this using 2-8-1rel.1 & got the document without any problem:
it's a newspaper -- the main articles listed are different today --
with quasi-Russian text in Latin letters, which i can read sort-of
-- i picture Ukrainian as like Glaswegian English (grin) -- ;
i can read Russian, when i need to.

> Getting http://www.vechirniykyiv.com/
> Lookup www.vechirniykyv.com                   <<== there are typos here
> Making HTTP connto to www.vechirniykyiv.com.  <<== ditto
> Sending HTP request.
> HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
> Read1023 bytes ofdta.
>
> HTTP/.1 200 OK
> texthtml;charset=koi8-r  D)ownload, or C)ancel

it looks like a problem with your charset options:
someone else may have more expert advice -- LP ? -- ,
but try changing things in the Options screen.
however, you will need to get 2-8-1 first:
2-7-1 doesn't have anywhere near as much international character support.