Re: lynx-dev gettext support

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev gettext support
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:37:38 +0900 (JST)

> > My idealistic view is this "_en" file should just go away. Until that
[...]
> my practical view - I'd like to take another crack at making the
> Solaris gettext work (I'm digging out from the backlog resulting
> from spending 60% of my time for the past 6 weeks working on another
> project). Putting most of the messages in one file is one of the side

I think what is being said is change the name of "LYMessages_en.h" to
"LYMessages.h" and move it into the /src subdirectory. Comments about
editing the file should be removed immediately (patch appended). Also,
the whole LYMESSAGES_EN_H define should be done away with.

> > haven't finished, a Japanese version that Henry put together, and
> > rumours of a German catalog Klaus has done. The "Free Translation
> > Project" has yet to issue a Lynx translation.

I have revoked my disclaimer because it was too restrictive in my case.
I sincerely hope this does not influence other people's decision making.
It should have no material effect on the availability of any Japanese
.po file I work on. (Update soon -- translation done, waiting for time
to do correcting/editing.)

I will offer an instruction file on how to set up the GNU gettext for
Lynx, either as an appendix to INSTALLATION or as a replacement to
ABOUT-NLS, **CONDITIONAL** on the removal of the entire /intl and /po
sub-directories from the distribution file set and all the peripheral
configure options related to their existence.

__Henry

*** lynx2-8-2/LYMessages_en.h.orig      Mon Mar  1 10:51:58 1999
--- lynx2-8-2/LYMessages_en.h   Mon Mar  1 10:59:31 1999
***************
*** 3,26 ****
   *
   *   (c) Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 University of Kansas
   *     1995, 1996: GNU General Public License
   */
  #ifndef LYMESSAGES_EN_H
  #define LYMESSAGES_EN_H

- /*******************************************************************
-  * The following definitions are for status line prompts, messages,
-  * or warnings issued by Lynx during program execution.  You can
-  * modify them to make them more appropriate for you site, and/or
-  * to use other languages.  Links to collections of alternate
-  * definitions, developed by the Lynx User Community, are maintained
-  * in Lynx links:
-  *
-  *    http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx.html
-  *
-  * You can substitute one of those as LYMessages_en.h, or modify
-  * the header inclusion statement in your userdefs.h to include
-  * one of those with a different name.
-  */
  #define ALERT_FORMAT gettext("Alert!: %s")
  #define WELCOME_MSG gettext("Welcome")
  #define REALLY_QUIT_Y gettext("Are you sure you want to quit? [Y] ")
--- 3,17 ----
   *
   *   (c) Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 University of Kansas
   *     1995, 1996: GNU General Public License
+  *
+  * The following definitions are for status line prompts, messages,
+  * or warnings issued by Lynx during program execution.  Make a
+  * message catalogue to translate or customize the messages, rather
+  * than edit this file.  See "ABOUT-NLS" for details.
   */
  #ifndef LYMESSAGES_EN_H
  #define LYMESSAGES_EN_H