lynx-dev Vlad's suggestions

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev Vlad's suggestions
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 11:08:42 -0500 (EST)

990306 Vlad Harchev wrote:
> When unhighlighting highlighted links that contain some extra formatting,
> lynx-2.8.2dev12 and lynx-2.8 draw them incorrectly
> compared to the way they were drawn before becoming highlighted first time)
> when compiled with lss support (I didn't check lynx compiled without lss).
> Here is an example (highlight and unhighlight 2 last links).

> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>e</TITLE></HEAD>
> <BODY LANG="EN">
>  <A NAME="tex2html11" HREF="node1.html">
> <UL>
> <LI> <A NAME="tex2html36" HREF="node23.html">IPC Identifiers</A>
> <LI> <A NAME="tex2html37" HREF="node24.html">IPC Keys</A>
> <LI> <A NAME="tex2html38" HREF="node25.html">The <TT>ipcs</TT> Command</A>
> <LI> <A NAME="tex2html39" HREF="node26.html">The <TT>ipcrm</TT> Command</A>
> </UL></BODY></HTML>

there's no problem with this test file without  lss  using 2-8-2dev.19 ,
which is the very latest version: 2-8 is too old to be supported.

to respond to your suggestions:

<a> appears to be recognised within <pre> blocks;
<b> & <i> are recognised if you use  ^v  to get `sortasgml' a/a `tagsoup'.

* regular expression search (preferably ERE), case sensitive and insensitive

this would be useful.

* marks (that are local to the file) like in 'less',
* ie positions in the html file recorded and then activated some way;
* Two non-reserved keys are required for this.

this probably runs into a problem with the way Lynx treats docs internally:
FM -- who did much of the early work on Lynx -- used to remind everyone:
"Lynx is not a file-viewer"; also, it's probably not worth  2  keys.

* floating-point numbers be allowed for INFOSECS, MESSAGESECS, ALERTSECS

what on earth for ... (raised eyebrows)?

* ability to filter from Inet to be passed through user-defined command

there's already the EXTERNAL feature: see Users Guide.

* ESC closes 'option list'

LeftArrow does it already as easily.

* for novice users: ability to set start page via 'o' command.

this might be useful: it really belongs under a larger project
to fit many  lynx.cfg  choices into the Options form.

the rule about Lynx development is very simple:
it happens when people -- eg you -- want a feature badly enough
to do the necessary programming & submit a patch to lynx-dev.
feel encouraged to contribute to the effort (smile).