Re: lynx-dev Vlad's suggestions

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Vlad's suggestions
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 05:41:31 -0800

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999, Philip Webb (address@hidden) said:

| >> I wish I be able to set INFOSECS=0.3.
| >> It would be possible to use usleep if the system has it
| >
| > Wouldn't setitimer(2) or select(2) be more widely available?
|
| both have  man  files on this IRIX 5.3 system,
| tho' admittedly the accounts therein are very abstruse ...

FWIW, here's a snip of the usleep(3) man page from FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE:

 > USLEEP(3)          FreeBSD Library Functions Manual          USLEEP(3)
 >
 > NAME
 >  usleep - suspend execution for interval of microseconds

 >  This routine is implemented using setitimer(2);  it requires eight system
 >  calls each time it is invoked.  A similar but less compatible function
 >  can be obtained with a single select(2);  such a function would not
 >  restart after signals, but would not interfere with other uses of
 >  setitimer.

*Eight* system calls for each invocation, and a caveat that using select(2)
is even *less* compatible.  That's enough for me to forget about changing
from sleep(3), which *seems* to be working OK on:

 VMS, MVS (or is the EBCDIC port running on VM/CMS ?), Amiga, God knows
 how many flavors of UNIX, and perhaps some other OS's, as well (?).

Not merely to save a paltry 600 ms. of wait time ... no way ...!

/kim