Re: lynx-dev Re: ISINDEX, Non-obvious mappings

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: ISINDEX, Non-obvious mappings
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 10:02:32 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> > I don't find the Lynx implementation non-obvious - the statusline says
> > explicitly what to do, thats about as obvious as it can get in Lynx.
>
> Here's what I see on the page.  Notice no instructions in the status line...
[ snipped page ]

> -index- http://216.71.55.6/cgi-bin/wikit/2!

You are right.  There is the statusline text

     This is a searchable index.  Use S to search.

but it appears only if there are no links on the page, or if User Mode is
not Advanced.

So I take back the "as obvious as it can get" bit.

I guess this used to work out because there used to be more ISINDEX
pages than now.  A new user would not start using Lynx in Advanced Mode.
By the time he/she switches to Advanced, he/she is supposed to have
learned what "index" means.

   Klaus