lynx-dev LYNX: reverse-search

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: reverse-search
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 19:25:05 -0800 (PST)

In VI or somewhere, and in lynx, doesn't "N" mean
"search again" (in SAME direction as before).

So why can't a "bare" question-mark mean HELP,
and a "?foo?" mean reverse search, and
"N" mean "another (fwd OR rev) search -- depending on
whether was via ? or /".

The reason for the SECOND "?" in "?foo?", which in
vi is OPTIONAL, I believe, is that if with lynx
it is NOT optional, but required, then that
disambiguates some future "SPECIFIC help",
eg "? url" (eg, vs "? url?" (rev search for space-url).

---

Of course, although it is agreed on in this group that this
is an insane idea :-(   ,  we COULD have, in some distant year,
multi-char commands, eg via prefix-colon.

David