Re: lynx-dev Lynx for Windows 98

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx for Windows 98
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:04:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Charles Lascari wrote:

> I am interested in obtaining Lynx for Win98. I know virtually nothing about
> programming, however, so it would need to be a version that I don't need to
> compile. Can you tell me where I could obtain it?

There are two different binaries available for use under Win98. I
don't know that anyone has compared them as far as Windows features,
such as mouse function, etc. There is a version available from Wayne
Buttles, who originally ported lynx to Windows and a version from
Hiroyuki Senshu who has been working to improve the Windows port and
also make it useful to those using Japanese displays. Neither comes
with a typical Windows install or setup file. You will need to read
the documentation, then make a batch file that sets your environment
variables. Sample batch files are available from Wayne's site. Then
right-click on the batch file and make a shortcut. Move the shortcut
to your desktop or place it in your start menu. You should just have
to click on the shortcut to start lynx. It is important to actually
read the documentation and edit the lynx.cfg file for your system
or lynx may not function properly. If you use the one from Hiroyuki
Senshu, be sure to use the English files as default, rather than the
Japanese. In either case, to make installation easier, install into a
directory with a DOS 8+3 compatible name, such as c:\lynx.

Wayne Buttles' binary is available from:
"http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm";
Hiroyuki Senshu's binary is available from:
"ftp://crab.it.osha.sut.ac.jp/pub/Win32/develope/senshu/Lynx";
                          Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)