Re: lynx-dev Additional README File for pre-compiled Lynx (W95) (fwd)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Additional README File for pre-compiled Lynx (W95) (fwd)
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:29:46 -0400 (EDT)

990906 Doug Kaufman wrote:
> I am glad someone who just started using lynx was willing
> to try to put this together.

it's exceptional & Scythe deserves lots of praise.

> it needs polishing before being distributed with binaries for Win32.
> the shortcut needs to be to  lynx.bat , rather than to  lynx.exe
> and a recommendation about changing the default shortcut properties
> to increase the environment space would probably be indicated.

this correction + addition can easily be made: maybe by DK?
there are a couple of typos & punctuation nits too.

> How much basic operating system knowledge (e.g. how to use an editor)
> should we assume for such a document?

it seems reasonable to assume anyone using Windows can use an editor.

> Is there any reason to try to make platform-specific readme files
> uniform across different distributions, at least to some extent?

there's no reason to confuse this Windows README
with any of the documentation for UNIX etc:
Scythe has addressed the Windows-specific Lynx problems very squarely
in a manner anyone who uses Windows can understand.

Scythe> This README clears up the things I had troubles with
> when starting Lynx. I had never used Lynx before then.

that's just the approach needed for good documentation,
subject to correction of technical errors by the experts.
i haven't checked just what is now included in the Windows Lynx package,
but Scythe's file should be included under the name `INSTALLATION',
with more general remarks & advice under `README'.