Re: lynx-dev where is the htmlx.y spec?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev where is the htmlx.y spec?
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:21:20 +0100 (BST)

>   I am trying to find whcih tags are allowed inside of a <PRE></PRE>
> combination. Does anyone know where are the specifications of valid
> HTML for different versions of this?

http://www.w3.org/

NB version 3.0 was never widely implemented and version 3.2 is an attempt
to formalise the de facto situation after Netscape, etc. had implemented
features without regard to the structure.

You will need to understand some SGML.

You might want to either use http://validator.w3.org/ on samples, or
download the nsgmls SGML parser and relevant DTDs to allow you to do so
locally.  The validator page has links to the document type definitions
of most HTML dialects that have been properly formalised and some that
have been formalised after the fact.

In general terms, anything that could affect layout is forbidden in
PRE, e.g. font changes, block level and list structures, tables, etc.
For HTML 4 transititonal, only inline elements are permitted, and of
these, the following are not:  IMG, OBJECT, APPLET, BIG, SMALL, SUB,
SUP, FONT, BASEFONT.  Several of these are deprecated and absolutely
forbidden in the strict version of HTML 4.  The HTML 4 transitiaon
definition of inline is:  TT, I, B, U, S, STRIKE, BIG, SMALL; EM, STRONG,
DFN, CODE, SAMP, DBD, VAR, CITE, ABBR, ACRONYM; A, IMG, APPLET, OBJECT,
FONT, BASEFONT, BR, SCRIPT, MAP, Q, SUB, SUP, SPAN, BDO, IFRAME; INPUT,
SELECT, TEXTAREA, LABEL, BUTTON.