Re: lynx-dev slang 1.4 officially released (fwd)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev slang 1.4 officially released (fwd)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:10:07 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:
> You're right, it's 4 and 5 only as I reported in the message
> http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month111999/msg00494.html
>
> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > 2) Why is this a problem?  It is intentional behavior, apparently.
> >    It has been present since colors with slang were first added to lynx.
>
> I don't remember if it was present since the beginning

It was, from the very beginning of color support in Lynx, around 2.5.

> but I reported it last november.

Had you not used slang color, in an environment that does show underlining,
before?

> Anyway, I can't believe it's intentional. It makes the display
> "heavy". For example, compare the document at
>
> http://earthspace.net/The_sky/sky_top.html
>
> using lynx/ncurses and lynx/slang and see which one is "lighter", easier to
> read.

The page has *everything* within emphasis tags (<B> or <I> or even both).
No surprise it doesn't look light.  You'd think astronomers understand about
optical pollution...

> Even if it was intentional, it's a mistake and should be corrected.

I still tend to think it should be left alone.  I got used to it.
Not that it's terribly togical.  Not that it's a good argument, but
your one-page "it's lighter" isn't either.

  Klaus