Re: lynx-dev reordered Options

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev reordered Options
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 17:26:34 -0600 (CST)

I am commenting on Vlad's comments, but don't really want to go
into those tangential questions now - feel free do do soemthing
about them, but I only want to suggest changes now that have a chance
to go into 2.8.3.

Tom, I assume that you'll accept a patch for 2.8.3 that changes
only the order & categories?

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Vlad Harchev wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Klaus Weide wrote:
> >                    Options Menu (Lynx Version 2.8.3dev.18++)
> >
> >      Accept Changes - Reset Changes Left Arrow cancels changes [1]HELP!
>
>   May be we should make these buttons to look more like buttons, e.g.
>
>  [Accept Changes] [Reset Changes] [Help] Press Left arrow to escape
>   - i.e. enclose button names in []?

A reasonable suggestion (except for Help? - it's just a link), but I am
not going to pursue it.

>   What is the dash between "Accept Changes" and "Reset Changes"?

I think that

    Accept Changes Reset Changes Left Arrow cancels changes HELP!

without any punctuation is even worse than

    Accept Changes - Reset Changes Left Arrow cancels changes HELP!

already.  But I am not going to pursue this stylistic question at
this point.

> >                          Save options to disk: [_]
> >                 (options marked with (!) will not be saved)
> >
> >   General Preferences
> >   User mode                        : [Advanced....]
> >   Cookies (!)                      : [ask user..]
> >   Searching type                   : [Case insensitive]
>
>   May be "search type" will be more correct (I'm not sure)?

I don't know, either.  But it's always been "Searching type", also
in the old style Options Menu.

> >   Keyboard Input
> >   Keypad mode                      : [Links are numbered................]
>
>    "Keyboard mode" is confusing - may be "Link navigation"? - anyway we have a
> large space for descriptions so we can be more verbose.

First, it's "Keypad mode".
Second, it is confusing because the option itself is confusing, because
it conflates two issues that should be unrelated and orthogonal.  One is
whether digits act as arrows or not; the other is whether links appear
with numbers or not.  The first belongs in the Keyboard/Input section,
the second should really be in the (Document) Appearance section.
THe whole thing should be split in two, but as long as that hasn't
happened the combined option has to go somewhere; I picked the Keyboard
aspect as the more important aspect (if you can't move between pages
and screens, you really can't do much), so put in that section.

> >   Emacs keys                       : [OFF]
> >   VI keys                          : [OFF]
>
>   May be we should be smart and create a <SELECT> for keys that have options
> "VI style","Emacs style","Default".

I don't want to touch that now.

> >   Line edit style                  : [Bash-like Bindings]
> >   Keyboard layout                  : [YAWERTY Cyrillic, for DEC LK201 kbd]
> >   Editor                           :
> >
> >   Display and Character Sets
> >   Display character set            : [Cyrillic (ISO-8859-5)..........]
> >   Assumed document character set(!): [iso-8859-1......]
> >   Raw 8-bit (!)                    : [OFF]
> >   Messages Locale (!)              :
> >   X Display (!)                    :
>
>   May be "X Window Display" would be better for novice users.

Maybe, but I'm not sure.

> >   Document Appearance
>   May be just "Appearance"? (show color and popups for select fields applies
> not only to documents (user shouldn't think that 'Options' screen is document
> too)).
>
> >   Show color                       : [ON....]
> >   Show cursor                      : [OFF]
> >   Popups for select fields         : [ON.]
> >   HTML error recovery (!)          : [strict (SortaSGML mode)]
> >   Show images (!)                  : [as labels]
> >   Verbose images                   : [OFF..........]
> >
> >   Headers transferred to servers
> >   Personal mail address            :
> >   Preferred document character set : _________________________________
>
>   In general - may be it's better to make a <select> here?

I don't think so.

> >   Preferred document language      : _________________________________
> >   User-Agent header (!)            :
> >
> >   Listing and Accessing Files
> >   FTP sort criteria                : [By Name]
>
>  May be "FTP listings sort criteria"?

Maybe.

> >   Local directory sort criteria    : [Mixed style......]
> >   Show dot files                   : [ON.]
> >   Execution links                  : [FOR LOCAL FILES ONLY]
> >
> >   Special Files and Screens
> >   Multi-bookmarks                  : [ADVANCED]
> >   Review/edit Bookmarks files      : [2]Goto multi-bookmark menu
> >   Visited Pages                    : [As Visit Tree..........]
> >
> >   Check your [3]lynx.cfg here
> >
> >          Accept Changes - Reset Changes Left Arrow cancels changes

>   May be we should indent category name or preceed it with * or make it <li>?

Maybe.  There are lots of possibilities, but this isn't the time to
play with them (at least for me - you can try whatever you like!).

>   But in general - IMO this layout is better than existing.

I'll wait a couple more days, and then make a patch - if the type
of change (only reordering and change of categories) is acceptable
to Tom for 2.8.3.

   Klaus