Re: lynx-dev is there a way? (to download from a *.nsf page ala MSIE)

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev is there a way? (to download from a *.nsf page ala MSIE)
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 08:51:22 +0100 (BST)

> Has anyone else found that some .asp and .nsf pages are rendered by Lynx
> well enough, whereas others have to be downloaded?  Do you know what the
> difference is?

At a guess, it is because IE, very deliberately, violates the HTTP protocol
and ignores the Content-Type header if the content looks like HTML, whereas
all other browsers comply.  My guess is that they do it this way because
they assume that in most cases the server will be misconfigured and, in
any case, where it is not, the users are likely to be more sophisticated.
As a result, they cut down on their support calls.

(A similar misfeature is that \ is translated to /; one can construct
URLs which will return the correct page on anything except IE, but will
return a bogus page on IE, by having the correct page really contain a
\.)