Re: lynx-dev Expanded mime types for lynx.cfg to handle real audio

From: vtailor
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Expanded mime types for lynx.cfg to handle real audio
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 16:35:19 -0400

>     * From: address@hidden
>     * Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 10:33:23 -0400
>
>The following is a list of expanded mime type definitions for the lynx.cfg
>file.  It includes the real-audio types, so that lynx can call the real audio
>browser under Windows and Unix. For example,
>
>VIEWER:audio/x-pn-realaudio:raplayer %s
>
>will have lynx call the real audio player and pass it the URL to its streaming
>audio.

Note that there are some other URLs that are in this "family" of URLs,
and Microsoft and Apple have appropriated them for their media players,
which compete with the Real Audio player.  The strategy for calling Media
Player is the same as for Real Audio, and I think also works for
Apple's QuickTime player.

There is a problem, though.  The URL passed to the media player is
a text file stored in the TEMP directory.  This text file, in turn,
contains _another_ URL, which is the "real" URL used by the streaming
player.  (So, file://c:/windows/temp/000c9.asx contains a pnm://...
URL as text.)  If you attempt to save the URL, the media player will
save the name of the lynx temporary file, unless lynx reads the "real"
URL and passes that to the media player.  Sooner or later, someone else
besides me will use lynx this way under Unix, or Windows, or Apple,
and will notice this nuisance.