Re: lynx-dev lynx and mailcap (was: Bugs in lates)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx and mailcap (was: Bugs in lates)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:01:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 1 May 2000 address@hidden wrote:
> In a recent note, Klaus Weide said:
> >
> > YM something like this?
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I didn't mean "everything's already there, no need to do anything".

> >   EXTERNAL:http:lynx -mime_header %s|grep -v '^HTTP/'|metamail:FALSE
> >
> Hmmm.  So Lynx spawns a second Lynx to fetch the http document and pass
> it to metamail.

You could probably use wget (if it has a -mime_header equivalent - dunno)
if you want more diversity...

> And since I've defined Lynx as my viewer for text/html,
> metamail will spawn a third Lynx to display the page.

a) I'd expect the 2nd (non-interactive) lynx to have exited by that time.
b) I didn't think you would use this for "Content-type: text/html" - what
   would be the point?

> This isn't going to loop infinitely, is it?

Only if you press '.' an infinite number of times.

But if you fear loops introduced by some (possibly non-interactive) way of
chaining lynx and metamail - you can protect against them by using
$LYNX_VERSION tests.  You should find that described in samples/mailcap.

> And each additional level of link I follow
> spawns two more Lynx?

Only if you "follow" links by pressing '.', but why would you?
I thought you wanted to used metamail's features for some more exotic
media types; why would it make sense to employ metamail for straight
HTML links?

> > > I know; I know: if I want it, I should code it.
> >
> > That too :).
>            ^^
> I take it the scope of the smiley is your entire reply?  :-)

Not really, but if you choose to take it that way, that's fine. :)

  Klaus