Re: lynx-dev Emacs + UTF-8 + Lynx

From: Sergei Pokrovsky
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Emacs + UTF-8 + Lynx
Date: 27 May 2000 15:17:03 +0700

  Thomas> I put together a crude version of Unicode support for
  Thomas> ncurses last week, which I (or any interested person) may
  Thomas> use to test an integrated variation of UTF-8 support.

Well, I've installed both xterm and ncurses from your Web page.  There
is a great improvement.

The Lynx presentation within Emacs is almost ideal now.  The only
slight defect is the ragged background: if I specify for Emacs a
non-white background, every line that contains multibyte characters
becomes that much shorter; and as I normally prefer the black
background, I see a black comb at the right side of the white Lynx
screen.  That's ugly but tolerable (of course if I select a white
background in the Emacs settings the two backgrounds become
indistinguishable; but I'd rather prefer to be able to have dark
background color pattern in Lynx as I can have it in Emacs, and an
easy way to commute among them).

The situation is worse with the stand-alone xterm.

After I've installed xterm, I've got a nice colored display, which
rendered most of UTF-8 almost correctly when called with -u8 (except
for the 0x80 bit bytes mentioned earlier).

Than I've installed the ncurses, having supplied the ./configure
script with --enable-widec (maybe that was an error?).

Now the Unicode characters are rendered better in xterm -u8, the
Russian small R no longer misbehaves, I do see em-dash.

*But*

1) The fi ligature is rendered as a box in the anchors (see the anchor
   "Bibliografiaj referencoj" in the next to last line of
   <http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/KompLeks/UTF8/HEJMO.htm>: it is
   rendered as "Bibliogra[]aj referencoj" in xterm, but as the
   expected "Bibliografiaj referencoj" in Emacs Lynx).  The same
   problem in the line

                      E, F, G, Ĝ, H, Ĥ, I, J, Ĵ

   where the anchor Ĥ is rendered as | (the Latin-1 equivalent of the
   same letter from Latin-3?).  In the plain text that letter is rendered
   as expected, e.g.
<http://www.esperanto.mv.ru/KompLeks/UTF8/UNIKODO.html#La-Unikoda-pagxo-Euxrope-Latina>

2) Lynx has lost the colors.

All that isn't very important for me, as it is much more convenient to
launch Lynx within Emacs and enjoy its advantages (like copy-paste to
and from the Lynx buffer, some more familiar keys etc).  But maybe it
would help in debugging process.

--
Sergei