lynx-dev Gopher support / Hex-ASCII values. . . ?

From: pAb-032871
Subject: lynx-dev Gopher support / Hex-ASCII values. . . ?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 07:08:54 -0700

Still messing around in ResEdit. . .

First, since gopher:// isn't used much these days [a guess], I'm
having trouble finding out if;

A)- MacLynx simply doesn't support this URL-type properly [although
    it does *try*, instead of launching an external helper], or;
B)- I'm just not hitting the right servers.

If anyone has a recent, publicly accesible URL for testing this
I'd love to hear about it.  If there's no support for gopher,
there's not much I can do about it.  But a test, at least for
the sake of more accurate help docs, would be nice.

Second, does anyone know the hex value of the Enter key on UNIX
and/or PC machines?  MacLynx doesn't respond to Enter on the keypad,
but *does* respond when you hit Return.  On a Mac, these keys
have two different ASCII/hex values; Enter=[03], Return=[0D].

Optional reading, from my notes:

<> [...] Adding hex-escaped
<> representations, and even pasting an Enter "character", with a hex
<> value of 03 into the KEYMAP section of lynx.cfg did nothing.  Messing
<> with a patch to make it re-type a "return" whenever the Enter key is
<> pressed, but that might happen too fast: MacLynx could be too busy
<> saying "press 'k' for list of commands" etc to notice the Return that
<> follows.

And that's pretty much what happened when I applied it -- nothing.
Change INFOSECS: to 0?  Anyone just starting on Lynx would NOT
benefit, even if it did work. . .

The escape sequence was
KEYMAP:0x03:ACTIVATE
but that could be wrong as well.

Besides the "re-typing" option above, there's another one that
*might* be able to interrupt the keypress before MacLynx "gets"
it, replacing [03] it with the expected [0D]. . .

                     If anyone has an answer for these I'll be
                     very grateful [but, sorry, no money will
                     change hands.  I'm broke! $-) ].

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>