Re: lynx-dev cache across sessions

From: pAb-032871
Subject: Re: lynx-dev cache across sessions
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 06:23:39 -0700

In "Re: lynx-dev cache across sessions"
[31/May/2000 Wed 02:02:12]
Vlad Harchev wrote:

>   Lynx doesn't support persistent source cache  - i.e. this source cache will
> be lost on exit from lynx. Use caching proxy like squid for caching, and
> direct lynx to use it (by setting http_proxy:http://localhost:3128/ in
> lynx.cfg).

Just curious: is there any way to create a file://localhost/ caching
proxy, or pseudo-proxy, when running Lynx on a your own machine?
This isn't a major concern, because I usually just download HTML
files that look like they'll be useful later [especially big ones,
because I only have to wait for the modem once: from then on,
CPU speed is the only delay].

But I guess with a local copy of the program, you can just move
the files, or the temp directory itself, immediately before you
quit Lynx and that would protect them [and putting them back would
make the files available to Lynx next time you ran it].

Unfortunately, the Mac version uses the system's Temporary Items
folder, which is invisible to the user [um, me] and cannot be
specified in Open File dialogs. . .  Even with applications that
can normally *see* invisible files.

                    Patrick
          <mailto:address@hidden>