Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to find "altURL" in this html/javascript?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:24:46 +0900 (JST)

> ...and what about the servers that deliver a completely different page

And what about them?  It's your choice: sell Lynx out, or send an agent
string that truthfully identifies Lynx _and_ its capabilities.  Unfortunately,
that often means _including_ within the string "Mozilla" or "MSIE 4".  It
definitely does NOT mean leaving out "Lynx+version."

Also, we should not forget that some sites "deliver a completely different
page" based on the true capabilities of a browser as interpreted by the
agent string.  This is a _good_ thing when done conscientiously.  Give MSIE
the javascript it thrives on, and give Lynx text and links.  Believe it or
not, there are a (precious) few sites that go to this trouble.  Do we want
to reward their efforts by thwarting them?

__Henry