Re: lynx-dev lynx error: unable to open compressed file...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx error: unable to open compressed file...
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:15:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Philip Webb wrote:

> 001024 Klaus Weide wrote:
>
> welcome back!  your intimidating presence is always missed (smile)!

Heh, I never noticed that I intimidated you :)

Thwack!  Back into your corner, Philip!

> >> "Michael Green" <address@hidden> wrote: [snipped]
> > That's a pretty old version of lynx.
>
> yes, you should get the latest version from  lynx.isc.org/current .
> you might also check the Archive at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev .

> was it not the case at one time that Lynx didn't uncompress automatically?
> wasn't it added, possibly later than 2-8 ?

No, it always did uncompress .gz and .Z as long as I have been involved.
Certainly since long before 2-8.

There were some changes around 2.7.1 ..->.. 2-8 regarding *the way*
uncompressing was done, at least for .gz - namely by using zlib
directly rather than invoking "gzip" internally.  (But even that
applies only to some cases - external "gzip" is still needed
in other cases.)

> certainly, there was a vigorous discussion here a couple of years ago.

But about what, exactly?

   Klaus