Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.17

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.4dev.17
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 12:10:18 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> I'd forgotten that I should have revisited the srand/rand code.

At least for the Cygwin port, there is a "free" implementation of the
rand48 family of functions available. I have used this in the SSL
enabled Cygwin lynx binaries that I have compiled. I haven't suggested
its inclusion before this because I couldn't find a clear description
of its license. Perhaps someone else can clear this up. It is from
the libc code of the Debian distribution. They say that their code is
"free", but may fall under one of several licenses. I just couldn't
find which license this actually falls under. If it is GPL, we could
include the code for platforms not having it. See:
"ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/source/libs/libc_5.4.46.orig.tar.gz";

The file is within the tar.gz file at libc/misc/drand48.c

It looks like this is a successor to the source of the drand48.c file
mentioned several months ago in discussion of workarounds to the lack of
srand48() on some platforms. That file had no indication of its origin
or license, but probably came from an older Debian libc implementation.
                               Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden