Re: lynx-dev Table troubles

From: Lloyd Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Table troubles
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:31:56 -0500

I haven't seen Ilya's code doing anything on the Windows version Dev
17 which Jim Spath compiled.  But I think that most of the time,
Klaus's algorithm which attempts to lay out tables only when they are
displaying data, and only when they fit within the width of the
screen is a good behavior.  I would like to see that behavior be an
option or the default, especially if it is causing trouble on some
pages.  I'm glad the spring, 2000 version of TRST is in the program;
it is sometimes helpful in deciphering pages with real tables in
them.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:03:50 -0500 (EST), Thomas E. Dickey wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Robert Mognet wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Using lynx2.8.4dev.18 with patch-lynx2.8.4dev.18c-p1 applied.
>>
>> Trying to access the following URL: (34580 bytes)
>>
>>      <http://physics.uchicago.edu/x_astro.html>
>>
>> causes lynx to eat all the machine's memory.
>
>I tried this and saw it max-out at 80Mb (seemed to be in some sort of
>infinite loop).  My impression is that it's trying to iterate toward
>the proper configuration of the tables, but isn't converging - either
>an error in the algorithm, or not efficient.  (After dev.19, I'll
>see if it would be not be too hard to maintain old/new TRST's ifdef'd)
>

>> The kernel complains:
>>
>> "VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for [all running processes]"
>>
>> accompanied by lots of disk thrashing - I assume the kernel is
>> trying to swap everything it can.  Interrupting lynx with
>> ctrl-C eventually works and after a while things settle down.
>> Have tried several times with the same result.
>>
>> Retrieving the file with wget and looking at the html, the
>> page is composed of one large table containing three inner tables.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Robert

>--
>T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
>http://dickey.his.com
>ftp://dickey.his.com

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
home:  <address@hidden> <http://lras.home.sprynet.com/>
Work:  <address@hidden>         <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>