Re: lynx-dev Re: LYNX: can I validate html via EMAIL?

From: Morten Bo Johansen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: LYNX: can I validate html via EMAIL?
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:32:39 +0200

Frédéric L. W. Meunier <address@hidden> wrote:

> David Combs wrote:
>
> > Well, that w3c thing wants me to either move the file to a
> > web site, which I don't have readily at hand,
>
> Why don't you install a simple HTTP daemon like thttpd (which
> I use) to validate your files ? And you can validate them
> locally if you install their validator (and Perl, libwww...).

Does one need a webserver? Isn't it possible just using Lynx'
built-in cgi support?

David Combs <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's what lynx "?" gives me:
>

> HTML validation services:
>
>      * [26]W3C HTML Validation Service
>      * [27]WDG HTML Validator
> The wdg thing wants money, or lets me do a trial
> download for 30 days.

I don't think it is commercial since it exists as a debian
package called wdg-html-validator. If you use debian you can
just do an apt-get install.

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't see any sign of that (wants money) on the webpage.  (I looked into
> downloading a copy of the code a month or so ago, but didn't happen to see
> anything that resembled install-instructions, much less documentation, and
> put that aside).

There is a package called wdg-html-reference as well. Suppose
there must be some docs in there.

What I would really like is to be able to validate the current
page with just a couple of keypresses (like in EXTERNAL using ',')
Has anybody got such a setup working?

Regards,

Morten

--
"Counting in octal is just like counting in decimal - if you don't use
 your thumbs."                                            (Tom Lehrer)