Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug in interaction with ebay.com?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx bug in interaction with ebay.com?
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:30:11 -0400

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 08:28:53PM +0200, Morten Bo Johansen wrote:

> The attached message is from debian-users and the problem
> raised therein seems like a bug in Lynx 2.8.4.

maybe not a bug, but a new requirement (work with non-compliant server).
opera can't visit the second page, w3m can't view the first, and links
shows incorrect display for the second.  (lynx can't get to the third
part).

it'll take some analysis to see what we have to work around (perhaps by then
ebay will fix their webpages - unlikely since it's M$ IIS ;-).

> It could be a Lynx bug, certainly. Whether or not one should
> dub some behaviour in a brower's interaction with html a bug is
> too complicated a subject for me but following one of the links
> you referred to in "Links" (another text based browser with
> this very silly name) worked ok. so at least you could say that
> Lynx is less fault tolerant than "Links" in this instance.

I just tried links 0.96 - it didn't work (clicking on the results of the
search gave me something that looks like a source-view of the page).

> > Reproducing the problem:
> >
> >     1. Go to http://www.ebay.com
> >     2. In the search box have something reasonable, say tv.
> >     3. Hit Find It.
> >     4. You should get a list of suggested items.
> >     5. Randomly choose one of the items.
> >
> > Now try following the link marked as `view seller's other auctions'.
> >
> > This results in an error screen. Prior to the error screen there is
> > an error message at the status line at the bottom of the screen, saying
> >
> >     Alert! HTTP 1.0 400 bad request.
>
> Lynx either inserts or does not strip a space between the

probably the latter (a trace shows that lynx reads it that way).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net