Re: lynx-dev annoying blinking of lynx with ncurses

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev annoying blinking of lynx with ncurses
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 05:23:31 -0400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 12:36:39PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> From: Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev annoying blinking of lynx with ncurses
> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:15:23 -0400
>
> > this is probably similar to the problem I'm working on, but I'm not sure
> > it's
> > identical (I'm working on modifying lynx to work with the wide-character
> > version of ncurses, which could make it work properly with UTF-8 locale --
> > but
> > I don't know that would make it work with an arbitrary ISO-2022 device).
>
> Hmmm, then it might need rather long time to fix the problem?

perhaps: all I know is that I read that the support in glibc for 2022 locales
is not very good - in principle it should work either way.  Being in a better
position to test this, you may find that it works well enough.

> IMHO, lynx with ncurses is almost useless if the patch
> of Hataguchi is not applied, at least under CHARACTER_SET:euc-jp

I'll probably integrate that.  Essentially "all" it does is bypass the
screen optimization.  otoh, if the wide-character stuff works well,
I'll probably start removing that stuff.

> There remains a problem but it is very rare to encounter
> the problem, furthermore it happened only when one called
> external commands from lynx.
>
> So I think it is very helpful for users to adopt the patch
> of Hataguchi in the next official(?) patch.
>
> Best regards,                  2001.10.19
>
> --
>  Debian Developer & Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
>  Atsuhito Kohda <address@hidden>
>  Department of Math., Tokushima Univ.

Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net