Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 19:54:18 -0400

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 04:30:35PM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:

> To me, an "ANONYMOUS_RESTRICTIONS" setting would imply control over what
> gets restricted when you run `lynx -anonymous`.  A "LYNX_RESTRICTIONS"
> setting would restrict _all_ runs of Lynx.

I meant it in the former sense (making the name begin with "LYNX_" to make
it clearer what program is affected, and being reluctant to use a very
long name, since environment variables longer than 20 characters didn't
use to be distinct).

> In both cases, it would be good to have them as runtime-configurable
> options (e.g. in lynx.cfg), not purely compile-time.  I _do_ understand
> that some admins may choose to build a separate Lynx binary to be used
> _only_ for their anon Lynx service, in which case they would be wise to
> compile dangerous options right out of the program.  But neither of the
> proposed settings sounds like it would do _that_.

The configure/compile option suggested first would do that.

> Ideally we would have:
>
>   - ability to compile "-restrictions"-controllable functions right out
>     of the program (configure/compile options), to reduce the chance
>     that a tricky user might figure out how to get around runtime
>     restrictions.  This currently exists in ad-hoc fashion for many, but
>     I think not all, of the restrictable functions.

well, as I understood the request, it would allow the person compiling lynx
to specify any combination of the restrictions that are currently compiled in.
Looking at the table in LYUtils.c for restrictions, it appears that about 2/3
of the entries have corresponding definitions in userdefs.h right now.  Making
it consistent, all of those would be settable from the configure script,
since the obvious way to implement the configure script's checks for available
options would be to use the "CAN_ANONYMOUS_" names defined in userdefs.h.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net