Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?

From: RobertM
Subject: Re: lynx-dev -anonymous broken in 2.8.4?
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:27:01 +0100 (BST)

It is alleged that Henry Nelson once typed:
[snip]
> > currently there is no way to compile out access to file:/// urls,
> > wihtout seriously mucking about with the code. Being able to hard code
> > in a list of restrictions would be a "simple" way to enable such a
> > thing without having to have an even longer list of:
> > CAN_ANONYMOUS_<whatever> FALSE
> Is the list in userdefs.h all that long now?  When I was doing it, it
> was pretty simple to throw an anonymous access specific patch on it.
> If `` #define CAN_ANONYMOUS_GOTO_FILE         FALSE '' is set in
> userdefs.h, then the anonymous user cannot access file:// urls baring
> a bug in lynx.

The problem is that setting doesn't work like that. If you have that
set whilst it stops users doing:
g file:///whatever
it doesn't stop them going to a web page with a link to:
file:///whatever
and then selecting that link, currently unless you also have:
-restrictions=file_urls
that will work, whilst the goto file:///whatever won't.

[snip]
--
Robm
873