RE: lynx-dev Unable to execute external commands

From: Frederick Bruckman
Subject: RE: lynx-dev Unable to execute external commands
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:46:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Umar Qureshey wrote:

> Ok thanks for the tip on further reducing lynx's size.  After doing some
> more research and looking thru the mailing list archives, it seems the
> problem is that lynx will not launch the mp3 player until after the download
> is complete.  However, since this is a streaming mp3 file, it is basically
> infinite in size and the download will never finish.

Uh, "madplay" doesn't support a URI as argument, which seems to be
what you want. So first, get a player that supports streaming mp3 from
a URI, like "mpg123"; second, you might enable externs, so you can
easily pass the whole URI directly to the player. For example, you
could put this in your ~/lynx.cfg:

EXTERNAL:http:mpg123 -q %s >/dev/null 2>&1 &

and now, when browsing a list of stations, arrow to the station you
want, and hit the period '.' key. (You'll have to send it a HUP when
you're done; at least, I don't see any better way.)

> This explains the mp3s
> with strange names in the /tmp directory when I activate an audio/mpeg link.
> So that kinda sux.  I was hoping to just pipe the mp3 data received into the
> mp3 player and play music but now I am gonna have to find a different path.
> My plan now is to launch and external program to which lynx will pass the
> url, the program will connect to the url and start receiving data, and pipe
> this to the mp3 player.  It's a bit circumspect but I don't see another way.
> Does anyone know of a some compact and solid C code for parsing URLs?  Lynx
> should have some, any idea what the function is called so I can grep for it.

> >   I downloaded and cross-compiled lynx-2.8.4.1b for an ARM target.  The
> > problem is that I am trying to launch an external program called "madplay"
> > to play streaming mp3 files.  The mp3 software works great standalone
> (even
> > with streams piped into it through another program) but, for some reason,
> > lynx is not spawning it.

Frederick