Re: lynx-dev Lynx vs. color-pairs?

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx vs. color-pairs?
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:47:01 -0700

Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 02:40:20PM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
> > Thomas Dickey wrote:

> another thing happened to occur to me.  Reading the terminfo description, I
> see
> that it resets colors to white-on-black.  When lynx is running, have you set
> it
> to use that scheme, or black text on a white background?  I'm used to the
> latter, and of course would notice immediately if I run lynx with a white
> background on a terminal which has a black.  (It happens that the stuff I'm
> working on now does this, to keep the unrelated traces to a minimum).

I haven't done anything to specify Lynx colors at all.  lynx.cfg is
right out of the Lynx distribution (to my surprise it does have one
color setting, "COLOR:6:brightred:black").  I also checked the compile
options via "LYNXCOMPILEOPTS:"; all mentions of "color" are:

  color_curses                        'yes'
  func_assume_default_colors          'no'
  func_use_default_colors             'no'
  COLOR_CURSES                        1

> The 9th color pair happens to be the one used for the background painting.
> If you chose to modify lynx so it used the terminal's default color (pair 0),
> then it should be relatively simple to implement, and could be excluded from
> the wbkgd behavior without too much trouble.

Have you tried to duplicate this with ncurses or anything else
(Solaris?), using terminfo entries that offer >8 pairs (either naturally
or by modifying the terminfo entries)?

If it's a bug in the curses library, I'm in a position to fix it, except
I don't understand curses internals that well.  I need help
understanding what sort of mistake it could be making that would lead to
this problem.