Re: lynx-dev Dillo

From: Petr Baudis
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Dillo
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:33:08 +0200

Dear diary, on Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 06:29:30AM CEST, I got a letter,
where "Frédéric L. W. Meunier" <address@hidden> told me, that...
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 11:29:02PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> > doesn't do frames or JS, but it's very fast (faster
> > than Galeon or Opera), tho' i haven't tried it at 56 K ,
> > only broadband.
>
> Interesting, but JavaScript and SSL (which you forgot to
> mention) are required everywhere. I don't know if they have
> any plans to support it.

You would be maybe surprised, but the "JavaScript required everywhere" popular
belief is not true from a large part. In fact, most of the sites are perfectly
functional without JavaScript and if they use it, frequently only for
additional eyecandy or convience. Sure there are places where it's a no-go
without JavaScript support, but they aren't *that* frequent; obviously it
depends on everyone what sites he uses, but I believe this is true for the
mainstream webs as well.. at least I only rarely need to start up mozilla when
I stumble upon such a page in ELinks.

There is also Links, which has more features than dillo, but it's not that fast
(altough still very fast), a lot less elegant and hardly extensible ;). It
supports SSL, though, and has some (well, rather pathetic) support for
JavaScript, while we are at the advertising :^).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

* IRCnet operator                  * FreeCiv AI occassional hacker
.
<Beeth> Girls are like internet domain names, the ones I like are already taken.
<honx> Well, you can still get one from a strange country :-P
.