Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.9

From: Clemens Fischer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.9
Date: 7 Oct 2002 17:38:43 +0200

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>:

> 2002-10-06 (2.8.5dev.9)

this is my story ;)  freebsd-4.3 i386

i'm used to "the lynx_rand" and "the libiconv" problem, and both were
hitting hard, but not to an experienced old deckhand as i am :)

the only way to tell lynx to recognize the libiconv is:

0 p2 lynx2-8-5 #LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -liconv" ./configure
--disable-nls
--enable-addrlist-page --enable-cgi-links --enable-change-exec
--enable-charset-choice --enable-color-style --enable-default-colors
--enable-exec-links --enable-exec-scripts --enable-externs
--enable-file-upload --enable-gzip-help --enable-internal-links
--enable-justify-elts --enable-nested-tables --enable-prettysrc
--enable-read-eta --enable-source-cache --with-ssl=/l/ssl
--with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local --enable-vertrace

note the LIBS="..." preceeding the ./configure.

then i get the old:

gcc -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -I. -I.. -Ichrtrans
-I./chrtrans
-I.. -I../src -I../WWW/Library/Implementation   -O -pipe
-L/usr/local/ssl/lib -I/usr/local/ssl/include  -c ./LYUtils.c
./LYUtils.c: In function `fmt_tempname':
./LYUtils.c:3152: syntax error before `)'
gmake[1]: *** [LYUtils.o] Fehler 1
gmake[1]: Verlassen des Verzeichnisses Verzeichnis

this had me running around until looking at the preprocessor-output,
which shows a null-expansion for lynx_srand, which is a #define in
lynx_cfg.h.  this fixes it:

// Mon Oct  7 16:53:43 2002 -ino: das alte problem....
// #define lynx_rand    /* CF_SRAND */
// #define lynx_srand   /* CF_SRAND */
#define lynx_rand rand          /* CF_SRAND */
#define lynx_srand srand                /* CF_SRAND */

ie., you have to make lynx_[s]rand expand to the normal value.  after
that all is fine.

if you have special tweaks in /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg and lynx.lss,
you _MUST_ save them before the install, otherwise they will get
overwritten!  thomas, this last case should be handled somehow.  i'm
not sure about the random functions, as i recall having a clean build
when using a default ./configure run, but unfortunately i can't tell
you which option raises this problem.  as for the libiconv problem,
this has to do with freebsd.  i have both the freebsd version from the
ports and the GNU version installed, but every program built from the
sources exposes failing recognition of these libraries.  ./configure
indicates that --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local should be sufficient,
but i think it has to do with the fact that the freebsd linker wants
"-L<directory> -l<library>" combinations, in that order, except for
the standard locations.

now i just restored my old lynx.{lss,cfg} files (after inspection for
new/divergent features, of course ;), and the first thing jumping me
is the colors:  the old settings were using the defaults, now i have
black and hi-white, which hurts the eye.  better than black on white
anytime, though...  must have something to do with your changes in the
color code.

clemens