Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.9

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.9
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:07:24 -0400

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 05:38:43PM +0200, Clemens Fischer wrote:
> Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>:
>
> > 2002-10-06 (2.8.5dev.9)
>
> this is my story ;)  freebsd-4.3 i386
>
> i'm used to "the lynx_rand" and "the libiconv" problem, and both were
> hitting hard, but not to an experienced old deckhand as i am :)
>
> the only way to tell lynx to recognize the libiconv is:
>
> 0 p2 lynx2-8-5 #LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -liconv" ./configure
> --disable-nls
> --enable-addrlist-page --enable-cgi-links --enable-change-exec
> --enable-charset-choice --enable-color-style --enable-default-colors
> --enable-exec-links --enable-exec-scripts --enable-externs
> --enable-file-upload --enable-gzip-help --enable-internal-links
> --enable-justify-elts --enable-nested-tables --enable-prettysrc
> --enable-read-eta --enable-source-cache --with-ssl=/l/ssl
> --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local --enable-vertrace
>
> note the LIBS="..." preceeding the ./configure.

Is the -L option needed, or only the -liconv?

For the latter, it's likely that I overlooked something in updating the
gettext configure-script macros.  But requiring a -L also is confusing me.

> then i get the old:
>
> gcc -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
> -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -I. -I.. -Ichrtrans
> -I./chrtrans
> -I.. -I../src -I../WWW/Library/Implementation   -O -pipe
> -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -I/usr/local/ssl/include  -c ./LYUtils.c
> ./LYUtils.c: In function `fmt_tempname':
> ./LYUtils.c:3152: syntax error before `)'
> gmake[1]: *** [LYUtils.o] Fehler 1
> gmake[1]: Verlassen des Verzeichnisses Verzeichnis
>
> this had me running around until looking at the preprocessor-output,
> which shows a null-expansion for lynx_srand, which is a #define in
> lynx_cfg.h.  this fixes it:
>
> // Mon Oct  7 16:53:43 2002 -ino: das alte problem....
> // #define lynx_rand  /* CF_SRAND */
> // #define lynx_srand         /* CF_SRAND */
> #define lynx_rand rand                /* CF_SRAND */
> #define lynx_srand srand              /* CF_SRAND */
>
> ie., you have to make lynx_[s]rand expand to the normal value.  after
> that all is fine.

yes - something is wrong in configuring, but I'm not sure what.  A copy
of config.log might tell me where to look.

> if you have special tweaks in /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg and lynx.lss,
> you _MUST_ save them before the install, otherwise they will get
> overwritten!  thomas, this last case should be handled somehow.  i'm

lynx.cfg is saved to lynx.old (that much is done).  It would be nice to
save the tweaks - but as I recall the discussion, it wasn't acceptable
to filter them off and add them to the new lynx.cfg file on the end
(that's doable).

> not sure about the random functions, as i recall having a clean build
> when using a default ./configure run, but unfortunately i can't tell
> you which option raises this problem.  as for the libiconv problem,
> this has to do with freebsd.  i have both the freebsd version from the
> ports and the GNU version installed, but every program built from the
> sources exposes failing recognition of these libraries.  ./configure
> indicates that --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local should be sufficient,
> but i think it has to do with the fact that the freebsd linker wants
> "-L<directory> -l<library>" combinations, in that order, except for
> the standard locations.

ok.  Perhaps setting $LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or similar) variable would make it
work as well.

> now i just restored my old lynx.{lss,cfg} files (after inspection for
> new/divergent features, of course ;), and the first thing jumping me
> is the colors:  the old settings were using the defaults, now i have
> black and hi-white, which hurts the eye.  better than black on white
> anytime, though...  must have something to do with your changes in the
> color code.

saving changes in that is harder.  lynx.cfg is relatively simple, since
most of the settings are commented out, so one should only have to save
the uncommented settings, resolve a few special cases such as the location
of the help-file, and add the settings to the end.

In practice, what I do is set $LYNX_CFG to a file in my home directory.
The first line of that is

        include:lynx.cfg

and is followed by my customizations.

--