Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.9

From: Clemens Fischer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.5dev.9
Date: 7 Oct 2002 23:23:38 +0200

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>:

>> 0 p2 lynx2-8-5 #LIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -liconv" ./configure
>> --disable-nls
>> --enable-addrlist-page --enable-cgi-links --enable-change-exec
>> --enable-charset-choice --enable-color-style --enable-default-colors
>> --enable-exec-links --enable-exec-scripts --enable-externs
>> --enable-file-upload --enable-gzip-help --enable-internal-links
>> --enable-justify-elts --enable-nested-tables --enable-prettysrc
>> --enable-read-eta --enable-source-cache --with-ssl=/l/ssl
>> --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local --enable-vertrace
>>
>> note the LIBS="..." preceeding the ./configure.
>
> Is the -L option needed, or only the -liconv?

you need both in the order "-L... -l...".  this way you can switch
between prefered directories, but in general it's a nuisance.

> For the latter, it's likely that I overlooked something in updating the
> gettext configure-script macros.  But requiring a -L also is confusing me.

that's what it does to me.  about the gettext:  i don't know.  i
always disable nls, because i want consistent (error) messages.

>> ie., you have to make lynx_[s]rand expand to the normal value.  after
>> that all is fine.
>
> yes - something is wrong in configuring, but I'm not sure what.  A copy
> of config.log might tell me where to look.

i'll send it right a way.

> lynx.cfg is saved to lynx.old (that much is done).  It would be nice to
> save the tweaks - but as I recall the discussion, it wasn't acceptable
> to filter them off and add them to the new lynx.cfg file on the end
> (that's doable).

ahh...  i see lynx.old{lss,cfg}.  i didn't notice.

>> but i think it has to do with the fact that the freebsd linker wants
>> "-L<directory> -l<library>" combinations, in that order, except for
>> the standard locations.
>
> ok.  Perhaps setting $LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or similar) variable would make it
> work as well.

i'm not sure.  here on freebsd this helps in case the dynamic linker
doesn't find some libs.  i/you can check this using "ldconfig -vr",
which returns all libs known to the system.  the output shows both GNU
giconv and freebsd's own iconv, in that order, but this has been that
way even before building lynx.  i had experimented with setting
LDFLAGS and LIBS and CPPFLAGS before the ./configure, but LIBS is what
it needed.

> saving changes in that is harder.  lynx.cfg is relatively simple, since
> most of the settings are commented out, so one should only have to save
> the uncommented settings, resolve a few special cases such as the location
> of the help-file, and add the settings to the end.
>
> In practice, what I do is set $LYNX_CFG to a file in my home directory.
> The first line of that is
>
>       include:lynx.cfg
>
> and is followed by my customizations.

i remember you mentioning this, but i was talking only about the new
colors.  i think you don't need to change anything with the
configuration, but a tip on how to actually use the default colors as
set by an [ax]term was nice.  this had worked perfectly before.  i
have not yet tried to vary the available settings.

clemens