Re: lynx-dev lynx can't use the webmail interface on www.gmx.net!

From: Clemens Fischer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx can't use the webmail interface on www.gmx.net!
Date: 19 Oct 2002 16:29:56 +0200

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden>:

>> i just recompiled without --enable-file-upload, but the problem with
>> fastmail persists.  i can't even log out.
>
> My impression from talking with you earlier this week was that it is
> related to file-upload - lynx is trying to upload the file that wasn't
> specified.  I'm expecting to have some of this weekend to work on lynx,
> and that was one that looked promising.

there's a workaround for gmx.net's webinterface:  i just fill in
spaces for the filename of attachments to tell gmx' CGI that i don;t
want to attach anything, and then gmx works, but fastmail.fm doesn't
allow any submitting of forms.  alas, their HTML is very hacky, i
don't know if it conforms to standards enough.  you said you tested
lynx against the W3 validator.  i bet fastmail would flunk that test.

i tell you all this because it might be neccessary to get accounts at
both gmx.net and fastmail.fm to check thoroughly if the traces and the
sites HTML don;t reveil the cause of the problem.  both sites offer
english, but it seems tedious to having to go through the procedures
just to fix lynx, especially since both sites are certainly not
conformant 100%.

i should think a W3C validated lynx should be enough, but there's
always the difference between this and the wild :(

clemens