Re: lynx-dev Invalid cookies

From: Stef Caunter
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Invalid cookies
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 07:50:56 -0500

> On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 06:53:42PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > Is this related to why you'd get a "Moved permanently" warning with:
> >
> >     "http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month112002";, but
> >
> >     "http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month112002/";
> >
> > would send you directly to the page?
>
> Nope, that's because "http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month112002"; is
not
> the correct URL for that page but the server helps you by sending you to
the
> correct URL.
>
> Use that trailing slash! :-)

Requesting a directory is a valid request. The server should provide a
default document from that directory.

This happens because sysadmins disable directory indexing on their
webservers and then program in redirects on browser requests for directory
roots where no default document is made available.

I get 404s from this site

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb

unless I append a trailing slash. This is the case with any browser. It is
the server failing to ensure that a default document is always available to
requesting clients.

Stef

Stefan Caunter
Mohawk College Computer Science Department