Re: lynx-dev Display problem with Cygwin port: lynx or ncurses problem?

From: Thomas E. Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Display problem with Cygwin port: lynx or ncurses problem?
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:37:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> I noted that the box drawing characters on the cygwin port don't seem
> to be correct, at least in popup boxes on the option page. Rather
> than line drawing characters the horizontal line character is the
> &Auml while the vertical line character is the "3". Upper left and
> lower right corners are "U", lower left corner is "A" and upper right
> corner is &iquest. This doesn't seem to change when I change display
> character set. The lynx_cfg.h file shows ALT_CHAR_SET defined as
> "acs_map", so BOXHORI and BOXVERT should be "0". If I read the code
> correctly, this calls the "box" function from ncurses and the ncurses
> default line drawing characters should be used. Is this due to the way I
> configured or is this a more general finding? I am using the standard
> cygwin terminfo description from the ncurses distribution. I just
> rebuilt ncurses with patches through 20030809, but that didn't make a
> difference.

It seems to work properly for me - using ncurses of course.  The "&Auml"
sounds odd - more like a lynx problem (perhaps related to locale settings
telling lynx that something is not printable).  I'm looking at a copy of
dev.16 on cygwin now, and it looks ok.  If it were simply mis-rendered,
I'd suspect the terminfo description (since the cygwin people periodically
add features that don't work, simply copying linux console entry).  My
copy of cygwin is from May.

otoh, if I'm misinterpreting the comment about "&Auml" - that you're
describing an 8-bit character rather than a 7-bit approximation, the
fix for that is to tell cygwin to use the OEM character set.  In my
/etc/profile, I have
        export CYGWIN=codepage:oem

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>