lynx-dev Segfault with https

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: lynx-dev Segfault with https
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:42:21 -0700

I installed openssl 0.9.7c.  I installed mod_ssl's PEM file where lynx
can find it.  [Howto verify: connection to https://www.ibm.com goes
without any warning.]

Now I try to connect to
https://mirbsd.bsdadvocacy.org:8890/active/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/
(as mentined in one of [very unhelpful] openssl-setup advices).

I get a prompt

SSL error:unable to get local issuer certificate-Continue? (y)

  If I answer no: connection succeeds.  End of story.

  If I answer yes: I'm presented with the same question again.

a) Why?  The trace shows "connection without TSL".  Should not the
prompt reflect the difference?  Should not the difference be explained
somewhere?

     b) If I answer yes: immediate segfault (in some non-trivial place,
        like inside fopen())

     c) If I answer no: half of the page is loaded, then I get a segfault.

d) And at the beginning of it all, the initial message is not very
   helpful either.  As my correspondent with Mozilla found, this place
   *has* a certificate, but it is not chained to anything "standard", so
   is not "trusted".  Cannot a different message to be shown?

Very illiterate about SSL,
Ilya

P.S.  README.sslcert is great!  A lot of thanks!  But maybe I will
      have something better up the sleeve - especially if the
      questions above are answered.