lynx-dev Re: Your distribution of openssl-0.9.7a-os2-bin.zip

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Your distribution of openssl-0.9.7a-os2-bin.zip
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:38:22 -0700

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 08:58:16PM +0200, Johannes Hromadka wrote:
> I'll try to convert all the scripts in tools to OS/2 *.cmd files for the OS/2
> distribution. Because not every user of the openssl package has perl
> installed.

Of course, it is up to you.  *I* would just document this as a
requirement.

> >> b) Server certificates, not available in lynx
> >
> >Used for what?

> In mozilla I can decide to trust the certificate of a single server, without
> trusting
> the issuer of the servers certificate.

Would not SSL_CERT_DIR work for non-root certificates too?

> I tired to ad my servers certificate to SSL_CERT_DIR, but lynx does
> not accept it. It only accepts the certificate of the issuer of my
> servers cert.

Well, if it is so, this should be classified as a bug in lynx.  Can
you provide necessary files so that this becomes reproducible?

> >> d) Other peoples certificates, needed for sending encrypted mails. (N/A in
> >> lynx)
> >
> >I do not know about mailto: stuff, does it support encription?
>
> IMHO lynx is a web browser and sending mails should be the job of mail
> programms. Even
> mozilla will be split into separate applications in future.

Lynx is not a web browser.  E.g., it understands file: links too.  ;-)
I would classify it as a "URI space" browser.  And if there is an URL
type for S-Mime, it is reasonable to expect that lynx would support it
too [but I have no idea whether S-Mime is expressable via URIs].

[BTW, you can see the other side of the discussion on
  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month102003/
]

Yours,
Ilya