Re: lynx-dev Question about WHEREIS

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Question about WHEREIS
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:26:45 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > I think so.  But it loads too quickly for me to test on that.  (I used to
> > test similar stuff with tin by using a server that I'd modified to slow
> > it down).
>
> Were you able to reproduce it ? I can with any document on
> Linux, FreeBSD, and Cygwin.

no - I recall looking again at this last week, with no difference.
I'll look again, in case I can see that I wasn't looking properly.

> Other 2 things:
>
> 1- lynx --version returns
>
> See http://www.moxienet.com/lynx/ for information about SSL for
> Lynx.
>
> OK, it changed to http://www.mentovai.com/lynx/ , but pointing
> to README.ssl and README.sslcerts in

thanks

> src/LYMain.c:    printf("See http://www.moxienet.com/lynx/ for information
> about SSL for Lynx.\n");
>
> may be better.
>
> And why aren't those files installed by install-doc (at least
> when --with-ssl is used) ?

A quick check of the makefile shows that none of the files under "docs"
are installed.  Since we do install samples/ and test/, perhaps "docs"
also (though there's the older CHANGES*.* files that are not very useful).

> 2- Use
> http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/MetaIndex.html
>
> in
>
> lynx.cfg:DEFAULT_INDEX_FILE:http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/MetaIndex.html
> userdefs.h:#define DEFAULT_INDEX_FILE
> "http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/Mosaic/MetaIndex.html";
>
> Anyway, it isn't maintained: Last Mod: Wed, 07 Jun 2000
> 20:18:50 GMT
>
> and has various broken links. Is there a better place ? Use
> something in lynx.isc.org ? Get rid of that 'I' option ?

perhaps - but it's less work to point to someone else's document

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net