Re: lynx-dev Permissions of files installed by install-doc

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Permissions of files installed by install-doc
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:00:00 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > I suppose we could make a check for program $TAR, but tar is standard, and
> > star is not.
>
> Both seem to behave the same installing from an ext3 partition
> with a fresh install, but all directories and files in lynx_doc
> have fredlwm.fredlwm permissions. I installed as root.

ok (that's a nuisance).  I should have noticed it before, since it's
been using tar for some time.  At one point or another I've encountered
different flavors of tar which have different options controlling whether
the original ownership should be used.  Rather than get deep into that
swamp, I guess a
        -chown -R root $(DOCDIR)
will be enough for now.

I've modified the configure check for 'tar' to allow other names, and was
just starting to test to ensure that I can use 'pax' and 'star' in that
place.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net