Re: lynx-dev Permissions of files installed by install-doc

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Permissions of files installed by install-doc
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:11:18 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:
>
> > Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:00:00 -0500 (EST)
> >
> > ok (that's a nuisance).  I should have noticed it before, since it's
> > been using tar for some time.  At one point or another I've encountered
> > different flavors of tar which have different options controlling whether
> > the original ownership should be used.  Rather than get deep into that
> > swamp, I guess a
> >     -chown -R root $(DOCDIR)
> > will be enough for now.
> >
> ... but only if the installing user has privilege to do "chown".

yes.

> Worse yet, I do some installs on a system on which, because of a
> spoor-marking contest between the admins of the server and the admins
> of the client, I can "give away" files with "chown", then not chown
> them back, delete them, not modify them subsequently.

I haven't seen one of those for a while.  Does it have 'id' (returning a
number), or are we stuck?

> > I've modified the configure check for 'tar' to allow other names, and was
> > just starting to test to ensure that I can use 'pax' and 'star' in that
> > place.
> >
> Of course, the command syntax for "pax" is significantly different from
> that of "tar".

Yes (I'm finding this - hadn't looked at pax for a long time, but
realizing that it is standard, have to include it).

For lynx we only need the equivalents for
        tar xf -
        tar cf -

--
Thomas E. Dickey