Re: lynx-dev .mailcap vs. HTSetPresentation

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev .mailcap vs. HTSetPresentation
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:11:14 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 address@hidden wrote:

> I recently decided I could view MPEGs, etc. with a shell command on
> my iBook.  So I put the command in my ~/.mailcap and pointed Lynx at
> a video/mpeg.  Nothing happened.  I did a trace.  I found Lynx was
> calling something called "mpeg_play", which doesn't exist.  As a
> circumvention, I put a one-line script in my PATH.  But I disagree
> with Lynx here.
> o Perhaps the hard-coded "mpeg_play" can be overridden in lynx.cfg.  But
>   this shouldn't be necessary.  .mailcap is the central place where I
>   should be able to define all helper apps, putting only desired
>   exceptions in lynx.cfg.  Mailcap is specified in RFC 1524; Lynx should
>   respect that.

As far as I know lynx DOES follow the values in .mailcap, overriding
anything specified in lynx.cfg. I thought the order was HTInit.c
defaults, then the VIEWER commands in lynx.cfg, then the global
mailcap, then your personal .mailcap.

Are you sure that you have the right syntax in your .mailcap file.
Does lynx.cfg specify the same PERSONAL_MAILCAP as the one that you
wrote? It sounds as if perhaps lynx was not reading your .mailcap
file? See this section in src/HTInit.c:

 /*
  *  These should override the default types as necessary.
  */
 HTLoadTypesConfigFile(global_type_map);

 /*
  *  Load the local maps.
  */
 if (LYCanReadFile(personal_type_map)) {
     /* These should override everything else. */
     HTLoadTypesConfigFile(personal_type_map);
 } else {
     char buffer[LY_MAXPATH];
     LYAddPathToHome(buffer, sizeof(buffer), personal_type_map);
     HTLoadTypesConfigFile(buffer);
 }

                            Doug
--