Re: lynx-dev Problem with Cygwin port under bash shell

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with Cygwin port under bash shell
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 06:31:41 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Doug Kaufman wrote:

> > > Thanks - then I don't have to do much with it now.
> >
> > I rechecked again. Removing "tty", "binmode", or both from the CYGWIN
> > environment variable does not fix the problem under Win98SE.
>
> Does it fix for you Thomas ?

yes - that's what I had been using (no tty or binmode).  Adding them
broke things.

> What I did here:
>
> Start the default Cygwin terminal.
>
> $ export CYGWIN="binmode tty codepage:oem"
> $ lynx

I did it that way.  Reading on the web, I see that it is recommended
to set them globally (from the control panel).  But I read that after
I'd switched back to ncurses, and intend testing that today.

> I don't think I have to set in /etc/profile. Correct me if I'm
> wrong.

I don't know why you should have to - but the comment in the users guide
about setting it before starting the console window makes me suspect
that there might be some further interaction with the console emulator
than the hooks built into bash.

(anyway, I'll perhaps know more in a few hours once I've gotten to it)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net