Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 19:45:14 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>
> > I made a quick try at this a few hours ago, but the script didn't get
> > anywhere - couldn't link.  That's using just the cygwin packages.  Is
> > there any documentation on building mingw binaries on cygwin?
>
> I don't know why Doug is using PDCurses. Because ncurses
> doesn't work with -mno-cygwin ?

I don't think that anyone has succeeded in compiling ncurses under
mingw, perhaps since it isn't posix compliant. So ncurses doesn't work
with -mno-cygwin.

> But last I heard you needed to compile all libraries the binary
> links to with -mno-cygwin. You can't use the ones from Cygwin
> (like bzip2, OpenSSL, zlib).

That is correct. I compiled OpenSSL, zlib, and bzip2 with -mno-cygwin
as part of the project of compiling a MingW version off lynx.

> And does a lynx binary compiled with -mno-cygwin lack or add
> anything compared to one you compile with Borland or MVSC ?

I don't know. You get to use a free compiler. I don't have Borland or
MVSC. The main problem with the binary is the inability to break out
of a hung connection without closing the browser. I see the same thing
with the Cygwin port. (I am talking about when the status line says
something like "Making http connection to ... Waiting for reply", but
the reply never comes.) It is hard to compare until it can compile and
different people can try it out.
                          Doug

--
Doug Kaufman