Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 22:24:35 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Doug Kaufman wrote:
>
> > The main problem with the binary is the inability to break
> > out of a hung connection without closing the browser. I see
> > the same thing with the Cygwin port. (I am talking about when
> > the status line says something like "Making http connection
> > to ... Waiting for reply", but the reply never comes.) It is
> > hard to compare until it can compile and different people can
> > try it out.
>
> I thought it'd work with --enable-nsl-fork (from INSTALLATION:
> "Disabled by default, this allows interruption of NSL requests,
> so that `z' will stop the `look-up' phase of a connection.")
> but I also noticed it never did for me on Windows. Or is the
> option just for "Looking up..." ?

I haven't tested extensively, but I think that this just works during
nameserver lookup. The windows ports (including mingw) use _WINDOWS_NSL
instead of the NSL_FORK code.

For an example of a connection that always hangs try:
"gopher://rs.internic.net/1";. I can cancel the attempt in the DJGPP
port, but not in Cygwin or MingW. I can also cancel using an old Linux
version of lynx (haven't tried a current version).

> But you wrote "the reply never comes". Isn't there a timeout ?

Not for as long as I was willing to wait.
                           Doug

--
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden