Re: lynx-dev calling lynx from xterm

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev calling lynx from xterm
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:03:56 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Henry Nelson wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 05:06:08PM -0500, Harland Christofferson wrote:
> > COLUMNS=163 LINES=80 lynx -cmd_script=myscript -term=vt100 www.someurl.
> > com > output.txt                               |||||||||||
> >
> > but it is as if the aforementioned environment variables are set
> > to very small values as most of the data is missing from the piped
> > output file (is like using lynx w/ a very small xterm window.
> >
> > how may i run lynx and spoof the COLUMNS and LINES environment variable
>
> Tom will be able to give you the correct answer, but my GUESS would be

offhand, no - setting LINES and COLUMNS normally overrides the screensize
of a curses-based program (slang, too), even if the corresponding numbers
are set in the terminfo/termcap.  But that may depend on the system - some
terminfo entries omit lines/columns to bias the application toward
obtaining that information in another way.

(I don't see the original email here, just your reply).

> that you are overriding any information Lynx has about your terminal
> by telling it you are on "vt100".  Maybe you have "vt100-w" already,
> or you could write/compile a custom terminal description file with the
> columns and lines you want.
>
> __Henry

Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net